Lemons have been popular since the 10th century. They were found from Southern Asia to Europe via the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and the Americas. The lemons are used for cooking, baking and also non-culinary purposes all over the world.
The lemon trees, these evergreen trees, with yellow oval shape fruits, come in many different varieties. The fruit is excellent for both health and beauty, and this is why you should always have lemons at home!
Let’s start with 10 health reasons:
- Boost your immune system with its vitamin C to prevent illnesses and infections
- Improve your skin quality with its polyphenols and antioxidant to fight against Free radicals
- It helps with bloating, gas and constipation thanks to its minerals
- Improve our digestion with its soluble fibres
- It helps prevent kidney stones thanks to its citric acid
- Reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering blood pressure, with its potassium
- Balance your body’s internal pH, thanks to its alkaline produced after digestion
- Reduce inflammatory pains in joints and stiffness by balancing your body’s uric acid levels
- Prevent anemia by increasing your iron intake thanks to its vitamin C
- Improve brain health thanks to a particular phytonutrient, tangerine, contained in its peel.
Let’s continue with 10 beauty & health tips:
- Whiten your teeth by mixing some lemon juice with baking soda and applying it to your teeth for a few seconds.
- Deal with dandruff by mixing some lemon juice with olive oil or coconut oil and applying it to your scalp.
- Freshen your breath by drinking lemon water that will help to neutralize odor from foods or dry mouth,
- Stay hydrated by drinking lemon water while bringing all the necessary minerals, vitamins and energy your body needs, and without any extra calories,
- Curb your cravings by having a glass of lemon water before meals to help to overeat and preventing having a sweet tooth,
- Clear out a cold, sore throat and boost your immune system by having a cup of warm lemon water, honey and some ginger root,
- Drink a cup of lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning to flush out toxins and waste in your intestines,
- Soothe chapped lips by applying a bit of lemon juice on your lips. It can exfoliate the lips by removing dead skin cells. You can also mix it with honey and rub it on your lips.
- Strengthen your fingernails by applying a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. This will help harden your nail, prevent cracking or breaking easily and even help when they turn yellow.
- Improve skin tone by gently applying a bit of lemon juice with a cotton ball. This will brighten your face, help against free radicals and boost your collagen production. Don’t forget to rinse it off with warm water after a few minutes.
Now you can fully enjoy the benefits of lemons!